Course’s Weekly Review Plan
|2||Prologue To Economics
· What Is Economics, The History Of Economics
· View The Past Through The Lens Of The Present
· The Story Told Here
The Ancient World
· Homer And Hesiod, Xenophon’s Oiknomikos
· Plato’s Ideal State, Aristotle On Justice And Exchange, Aristotle And The Acquisition Of Wealth, Rome, Conclusions
|· What is Economics and how can you define it? And what is the difference between Macroeconomics and Microeconomics? What is the difference between Positive and Normative Economics?
· Who is Homer and what is his idea of economics? And how do you compare him to Hesiod?
· Xenophon is considered one of the early economists? Can you explain why?
· What is Plato’s concept of Ideal State?
· Can you explain the concepts of Justice and Exchange in Aristotle?
· While Aristotle was not so convinced that acquisition of wealth was not good for the economy?
· Tell me about the economics of the Roman Empire
|3||The Middle Ages
· The Decline Of Rome, Judaism, Early Chritisanity
· Islam, From Charles Martel To The Black Death
· The 12th Century Renaissance And Economics In The Universities
· Nicolas Oresme And The theory Of Money, Conclusions
|· Can you tell me what were the causes determining the decline and final fall of the Roman Empire
· Why the Judaism, basically a religion, became a powerful economic lobby after the fall of the Roman Empire?
· Can you tell me something about the concept of economics in the Early Christianity
· Why for Islam good economics was fundamental for expansion?
· What happen in the period going from Charles Martel to the Black Death?
· Can you tell about the Renaissance period? And why economics started to be considered a discipline at universities?
· Who was Nicolas Oresme and what is the theory of Money
|4||The Emergence Of The Modern World View – The 16th Century
· The Renaissance And The Emergence Of The Modern View, The Reformation, The Rise Of The European Nation State, Mercantilism, Machiavelli
· The School Of Salamanca And American Treasure
· England Under The Tutors, Economics In The 16th Century
|· What is the importance of the Renaissance? And what we intend with Modern View?
· Tell me about the reformation. What do you know?
· What we intend with the concept of European Nation State?
· What is Mercantilism?
· Can you introduce to me Machiavelli?
· Can you tell me about the School of Salamanca?
· Why English economy improved and developed under the Tudors?
· Can you discuss about economics in the 16th Century?
|5||Sciences, Politics And Trade In The 17th Century England
· Background, Science And The Science Of The Royal Society, Political Ferment
· Economic Problems – Dutch Commercial Power And The Crisis Of The 1620s, The Balance Of Trade Doctrine, The Rate Of Interest And The Case For Free Trade, The Recoinage Crisis Of The 1960s
· Economics In The 17th Century
|· Can you describe to me the new concept of Science in the 17th century in England?
· What was the political ferment of that time?
· Tell me about the rise of the Dutch commercial power?
· What caused the crisis of the 1620s?
· Can you explain the Balance of the Trade Doctrine?
· What was the idea behind rate of interest and free trade?
· Tell me what do you know about 1690s?
|6||Absolutism And Enlightenment In The 18th Century France
· Problems Of The Absolute State, Early 18th Century Critics Of Mercantilism, Cantillion On The Nature Of Commerce In General
· The Enlightenment, Physiocracy, Turgot
· Economic Thought Under The Ancient Regime
|· What was the idea of Absolute State?
· Why suddenly people criticized the concept of Mercantilism in the 18th century?
· Who was and what was the thought of Cantillion?
· Tell me something about the Enlightenment?
· Who were the Physiocrats?
· What was thinking Turgot?
· What happened under the Ancient Regime?
|7||The Scottish Enlightenment Of The 18th Century
· Background, Hutchenson, Hume, Sir James Stuart
· Adam Smith, Division Of Labor And The Market
· Capital Accumulation, Smith And Laissez Faire
· Economic Thought At The End Of The 18th Century
Classic Political Economy, 1790 – 1870
· From Moral Philosophy To Political Economy, Utilitarism And The Philosophic Radicals
· Ricardian Economics, Alternatives To Ricardian Economics, Government Policy And The Role Of The State, Money
|· What do you know about Hutchenson?
· What was the thought of Hume?
· What were the main ideas of Sir James Stuart?
· What was the thought of Adam Smith?
· How Divison of Labor and Market were actually understood?
· What was the main idea of capital accumulation?
· What does it means in Economics laissez faire?
· What was the Economic thought at the end of the 18th Century?
· Can you define Moral Philosophy? Can you compare with Political Economy?
· What is Utilitarism?
· How can you describe the Philosophic Radicals?
· Can you tell me about Ricardian Economics?
· What is the Government Policy and the role of the State?
· What is the role of Money?
· What’s the difference between John Stuart Mill and Karl Marx?
|9||The Split Between History And Theory In Europe, 1870 – 1914
· The Professionalization Of Economics, Jevons, Walras And Mathematical Economics, Economics In Germany And Austria, Historical Economics And The Marshallian School In Britain
· European Economic Theory, 1900 – 1914
|· Why suddenly there was need of professionalization of Economics?
· Can you tell something about Jevons? Walras? And define Mathematical economics?
· Can you differentiate between the German School and the AustrianSchool of economics?
· What is Historical Economics?
· Why was important the Marshallian School in Britain?
· Can you discuss the European Economic Theorybetween 1900 and 1914
|10||The Rise Of American Economic, 1870- 1939
· US Economics In The Late 19th Century, John Bates Clark, Mathematical Economics
· Thornstein Veblen, John R. Commons
· Inter War Pluralism, Inter War Studies Of Competition, The Migration Of European Academics
· US Economics In The Mid-20th Century
|· What was the situation in the US economics in the late 19th Century
· What was the main idea of John Bates Clark?
· Can you illustrate Mathematical Economics?
· What is the main economic theory of Thornstein Vebler?
· Who was John R. Commons? And why he is considered an important economist?
· What we intend with Inter War Pluralism?
· Whar are the Inter War Studies of Competition?
· Why there was Migration of European Academics to US?
· Can you describe US economics in the Middle of the 20th Century?
|11||Money And The Business Cycle, 1898 – 1939
· Wicksells’s Cumulative Process, The Changed Economic Environment
· Austrian And Swedish Theories Of The Business Cycle, Britain: From Marshall To Keynes
· The American Tradition , Keynes’s General Theory
· The Keynesian Revolution, The Transition From Inter War To Post Second World War Macroeconomics
|· What is Wicksells Cumulative Process?
· Can you describe The Changed Economic Environment from 1898 to 1939?
· Can you compare the Austrian and Swedish Theories of the Business Cycle?
· What happened in Britain with Marshall and Keynes?
· What we intend with The American Tradition?
· Can you explain the Keynes’s General Theory?
· Can you explain The Keynesian Revolution?
· How changed the idea of Macroeconomics in between the wars?
|12||Econometrics And Mathematical Economics, 1930 To Present
· The Mathematization Of Economics, The Revolution In National Income Accounting, The Professionalization Of Economics, Jevons, Walras And Mathematical Economics
· Economics In Germany And Austria, Historical Economics And The Marshallian School In Britain
· European Economic Theory, 1900 – 1914
|· Can you describe The Mathematization of Economics?
· What is the meaning of The Revolution in National Income Accounting?
· Can you describe The Professionalization of Economics?
· Can you describe Jevons?
· Can you introduce Walras and Mathematical Economics?
· What is the difference in Economics in Germany and Austria?
· What is Historical Economics?
· How can you describe The Marshallian School in Britain?
· What is the European Economic Theory during the period from 1900 to 1914?
|13||Welfare Economics And Socialism, 1870 To The Present
· Socialism And Marginalism, The State And Social Welfare, The Lausanne School
· The Socialist Calculation Debate, Welfare Economist 1930 – 1960, Market Failure And Government Failure
|· Socialism And Marginalism
· The State And Social Welfare
· The Lausanne School
· The Socialist Calculation Debate
· Welfare Economist 1930 – 1960
· Market Failure And Government Failure
|15||Economists and Policy, 1939 To The Present
· The Expanding Role Of The Economics Profession
· Keynesian Economics And Macroeconomic Planning
· Inflation And Monetarism, The New Classical Macroeconomics, Development Economics
|· Can you explain The Expanding Role of the Economics Profession?
· Can you define Keynesian Economics and Macroeconomic Planning?
· What is Inflation?
· What is Deflation?
· What is Stagflation?
· What is monetarism?
· Can you describe the basic ideas of the New Classical Macroeconomics?
· What are the development economics?
|16||Expanding The Discipline, 1960 To The Present
· Applied Economics, Economic Imperialism
· Heterodox Economics, New Concepts And New Techniques, Economics In The 20th Century
Epilogue : Economists And Their History
|· What is Applied Economics?
· Can you give your opinion about Economic Imperialism? It is a positive or negative doctrine? And why?
· Can you define Heterodox Economics?
· What are the New Concepts and New Techniques of Contemporary Economics?
· Can yu discuss some of the issues of Economics in The 20th Century?